Skip to main content

The "Dead Man's Cake" blogs, issue #4


Dead Man’s Cake:  The Songs.

The album “Dead Man’s Cake” (2012, by David Barrows) is my autobiographical narrative consisting of 11 songs which generally proceed chronologically from my childhood to the present day.  The first half of the record is about the story of my parents, my Mom’s suicide and how it affected me.  Most of the second half of the record is about how I went on to live my life afterwards.

Track 1:  Hollywood Sixties  

Hollywood Sixties is about those years in the mid- to late 1960s when my parents, Robert Guy Barrows and Judith Friedman Barrows, enjoyed a few years of success as Hollywood television writers.  They wrote individually and as a husband and wife team, for a number of famous television shows, including series like Mission Impossible, Bonanza, the Green Hornet, Daniel Boone, etc.  Many of these episodes are available as part of boxed sets of those series, and there are even some complete episodes that exist on YouTube etc.

You can find references to their TV career by searching the web:





Musically, "Hollywood Sixties" is upbeat and funky, with a kind of a film noir undertone, and interspersed with horn section parts that quote Hollywood film and TV theme songs.  It makes reference to the glamour of Hollywood, but also questions our obsession with it, and hints at the high price of fame and Hollywood’s dark side.  The song foreshadows the impending premature ending of my parents’ short-lived Hollywood career, due, as I see it, to a combination of fateful decisions, delusions of grandeur and the tragedy of untreated mental illness.

(To be continued).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Gun Violence in America - #guncontrol NOW

Hi.  It's been awhile (a couple years in fact) since I last posted to this blog.  The latest mass shooting in the U.S. made me want to speak out.

If you look at the U.S. defense budget for 2017, it shows a figure of over $500 billion.  Do you feel safe?  How does all that money protect American citizens, when they can be mowed down by a lone gunman at a country music gig?  Maybe it's not really the citizens that money is meant to protect.  Maybe it's the system.

It's quick and easy to find articles such as this and this, following such an event, about how Democrats' efforts to enact common sense gun control laws are thwarted by the NRA and the Republicans who are beholden to them.

But that is symptomatic of a more general problem - things are the way they are, we're told, and this is the way it's always going to be.  And we, the average citizens, can't do much about it, because after all, we're just average citizens.  We're busy.  We've got …

The "Dead Man's Cake" blogs, issue #5.

The album “Dead Man’s Cake” (2012, by David Barrows) is my autobiographical narrative consisting of 11 songs which generally proceed chronologically from my childhood to the present day.  The first half of the record is about the story of my parents, my Mom’s suicide and how it affected me.  Most of the second half of the record is about how I went on to live my life afterwards.
Track 2:  Hippies On The Ranch
Hippies On The Ranchrefers to one of those fateful decisions, around 1966 or 1967, where my parents met a fellow writer at a party in L.A., who happened to be selling his ranch in Cuba, New Mexico.They were heady from their success of having sold a screenplay for fifty thousand dollars, which was a lot of money in those days.
My understanding is, they thought they could live part time in L.A., and live part time on the ranch, to draw inspiration for writing western screenplays, by actually living in the southwest.The ranch was on the edge of the village of Cuba which had a populatio…